St Mary's lighthouse at sunrise.
St. Mary's Lighthouse is on the tiny St. Mary's Island, just north of Whitley Bay on the coast of Northumberland coast. The small rocky tidal island is linked to the mainland by a short causeway which is submerged at high tide.
It no longer functions as a working lighthouse but it is easily accessible (when the tide is out) and is open to visitors and has a small museum, a visitor's centre, and a cafe.
The lighthouse and keepers' cottages were built in 1898. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1984 and is 38m (120 foot) high.
A few miles north of Whitley bay, Northumberland